Friday, April 12, 2013

Unfinished business

Rarely do I just post what I'm thinking about while it's still in process. Usually I wait till I'm close, I can feel the insight coming, so I write to clean up my mind. This time I don't feel close, but I feel the need to write.
 First is an interesting thing concerning Jesus being a slave. Second is just a general thought.
 

I was reading Zech 11 and got to verse 12-13, "Then I said to them, "If it seems good to you, give me my wages; but if not, keep them." And they weighed out as my wages thirty pieces of silver. Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter"--the lordly price at which I was priced by them. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD, to the potter. "

Now the prophet says "Lordly price" because it was a true insult these shepherds had done to him as 30 silver pieces was the price of a slave who had become dreadfully injured from an ox goring him, see Ex 21:32. So they are telling Zechariah he was as worthwhile a wounded slave. A slave.

But ultimately this is a prophecy about Jesus, because Judas betrays Him for 30 pieces of silver. Matthew 26:15 "and said, "What will you give me if I deliver him over to you?" And they paid him thirty pieces of silver." (Of course this is in Matthew's gospel, because it's the fulfillment of Scripture, only Matthew is really interested in showing that.) They bought Jesus for the price of a bleeding slave. Which means Jesus was counted as a slave.

That would be interesting enough as it is, but it's not the end of it. In the upper room Jesus takes off His outer garment, assumes the role of the slave, and washes the feet of His disciples. Jesus voluntarily becomes a slave. Then Judas goes and sells Him for the price of a slave.
What is Scripture teaching us with this juxtaposition? Why in the same night are there two testimonies from opposite political ends that Jesus is a slave? At first I thought that Jesus act of slavery *prompted* Judas to go sell him for the price of a slave. But Judas purposes betrayal before that, so that can't be it.
Is it that both are coming together to testify of this and one sees this service as despicable and the other as awesome, like predestination is seen through two lenses? That doesn't seem big enough if you know what I mean.


The other thought is on the ordinariness of life. Why is it that as you get older, particularly as you get near death and your body starts shutting down, that you just accept where you are at and go with it? Why is it that those dirt poor people in Africa and Latin America are just as happy and joyful as rich Europeans?
It's because the ordinariness of life pursues us, and always, always overtakes us. No matter who you are life consists in the ordinary things of eating, sleeping, working, washing, etc. Your super cool job as a rocket scientist when you think about it really comes down to typing on a computer, using a CAD program, talking to customers, boring every day activities. No matter who you are.You can be a wealthy Beverly hills movie star and the ordinariness of life will overtake you.
Why? Why has God given such speed to this effect so that none may escape it? Is it His servant to bring our eyes to eternity? Or is it like Solomon says that enjoyment in the ordinary is just a gift from God and the other effect is because of our sinful nature?

No comments:

The Heretical Religion of Wokeism

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served tha...