Friday, June 18, 2010

Matthew 5:43

You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
The law of Leviticus 19:18 state that we should love our neighbor, but sinful men being what they are naturally want the rest of this phrase, what about my enemy? Or to put it another way, who is my neighbor (Luke 10:29)? If the neighbor is everyone then everyone gets love, but if everyone is not my neighbor, then I am free to do what I like with them.  If I get to do what I like then I choose hate, which is what they deserve.

The interesting thing is that Jewish teachers supplied that last part of the phrase given to them, they weighed love your neighbor and came to the conclusion that there is a category of not neighbor and that naturally they should get not love.
There are people today that think that because there are not elect that they get God's hatred, that if you have not been elected, then Jesus did not die for you..  This is essentially the same logic of the people who supplied "hate your non neighbor".  It was roundly condemned by Jesus.

No comments: