Thursday, October 8, 2015

To The Reader



I was persuaded to pen the reasons for my opinions against absolute reprobation in order to satisfy a worthy friend who required it. What satisfaction that learned gentleman has received by the reasons, I do not know, but I am sure they’ve been good content for some others who have read them and deserve a copy for their further use. Owing to those whose pains in transcribing this treatise, it will now appear in this form.

If any man undertake to refute this work I wish he’d set down his opinion and reasons with that perspicuity and modesty that this author has set down his. Such a course of disputing will gain more credit to himself and his cause then voluminous vagaries about impertinent things. If any shall railing speeches or unnecessary diversions from the cause I shall ever interpret that to be a strong sign of a weak cause, or at least I shall think it to be an argument of an obstinate mind who neither knows how to yield to the truth nor to defend his error. I hope the reader who loves his own salvation will be a more indifferent judge in a question which concerns him so dearly. And so I leave him in God s blessing. 

(Note: Hoards words from his book "Gods love..." will appear in red to distinguish it from Davenants response. The Animadversions includes both the full text of Hoards treatise plus the response.)

No comments:

The Heretical Religion of Wokeism

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served tha...