Wednesday, May 27, 2015

C.S. Lewis on "Gay Christian"

No, let me say straightaway that I have no direct quote from the man on the matter. Don't get your hopes up. It's just that today I remembered a quote Lewis said on another issue and it was the exact answer to the 'gay' dilemma. You know, the question, "can a person be gay and Christian?"
To that, that debate on whether the PCUSA and Christians in general, can love Jesus, be gay, and still go to heaven, or are schismatics who say they love the God of the Bible but are actually loving the god of their own creation, I hold up this quote. It's Lewis with his usual clarity:

...Mortals misunderstand. They say of some temporal suffering, 'No future bliss can make up for it,' not knowing that Heaven, once attained, will work backwards and turn even that agony into a glory. And of some sinful pleasure they say, 'Let me but have this and I'll take the consequences,' little dreaming how the damnation will spread back and back into their past and contaminate the pleasure of the sin. The good man's past begins to change so that his forgiven sins and remembered sorrows take on the quality of Heaven: the bad man's past already conforms to his badness and is filled only with dreariness.

That is ever so right. "Let me but have this and I'll take the consequences." Let me have this imagined joy of homosexuality that God forbids while I have Christ and all will be well. Let me hold Him with my left and my sin with my right and I will have everything. I can do it.
But the time will come
soon enough when they will either find their full identity in either gay or in Christian. Either their most cherished sin will be driven out entirely like every other sin or Christ will be driven out that they may cling to it without restraint. The gay path splits off to the left while the God path goes to the right and to hold both is to be pulled apart, for there is no middle ground.
That aside, He warns us plainly He's a jealous God, and we should take that seriously. He won't share His pleasure, and so eventually the gay Christian will have to opt for either
holiness or emptiness.
So church discipline aside, sorting it all out is easier than ever: we just preach the Bible, the truth, pray for the man, and let God worry about the rest.


No comments:

The Heretical Religion of Wokeism

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served tha...