Thursday, February 2, 2012

Debt and Satisfaction Analogy

I checked out a kids book from the church library- baby Noah and the Ark. I checked it out, let my daughter read it, then promptly lost it when I got home. I scoured everywhere, even the garage and it's like that book never existed, except now I owe them their book. Not money, not an equivalent weight in books, not a stack of papers, not even a replacement book, I owe them that book with the sticker which reads "property of First Baptist Church" on it, and the edges of the pages flayed from age and abuse. I am hopelessly unable to deliver on my debt.
But what if someone were to pay that debt? They couldn't come in and throw money at the librarian, since she's under no obligation to accept that. But! But if someone were to come in with the same copy, a working perfect equivalent and that person was able to negotiate (or persuade) the librarian to accept the new book in place of the old and I agreed to it and any other terms the librarian laid down, then, (and only then) would I be absolved of my debt.
And the cross is just this way. Christ pays our debt on a substutionary basis, which does not mean that He paid for my and only my sins, but that He is a qualified substitute for me.  The father is pleased to accept the arrangement, and when I accept Him by faith I meet His terms and receive eternal life.

No comments:

The Heretical Religion of Wokeism

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served tha...