Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A repentance analogy with American cars

Repentance is making a serious moral about face. I don't mean the word serious as an adjective meaning greater, or more impressive, I mean it in the sober, committed sense of the word. If you really believed you have done wrong and want to stop you need to change your behavior.

Full disclosure: I inherited a Dodge Neon my wife bought before we were married, and the car is a lemon. And I hate it. So now she and the baby use my Corolla and I get the junker which has transmission problems (we rebuilt it twice) it leaks fluid, and has since 40,000 miles.

While fixing it again the thought occurred to me this morning: what would it take for me to be willing to commit my family to a GM, or Chrysler, or Dodge car? What would it take for me to accept them as part of my own cherished possession and trust the safety of my family to them? I think the answer is simple: they must repent.  They must make an apology for all the wrongs they have done to me and mine, they must admit they've screwed ups, that they have been deceitful, lazy, maybe even criminal. And they have to be specific. If they issued a generic blank apology that would indicate to me they had no intention of changing their poor car performance, and that would be unacceptable. They must be so committed to changing their ways that they not only say it, but do it. And then I would accept them.

James 2:14, 17, 24, 26

No comments:

The Heretical Religion of Wokeism

"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served tha...