Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A repentance analogy

Repentance is making a serious apology for your wrongs.  I don't mean serious like a teenager would use the word, as an adjective meaning greater, or more impressive, I mean it in the sober, committed sense of the word.  If you really believed you have done wrong it changes your behavior.

The thought occurred to me this morning: what would it take for me to be willing to commit to a GM, or Chrysler, or Dodge car? What would it take for me to accept them as part of my own possession and trust the safety of my children to them?  They must first repent.  They must make an apology for all the wrongs they have done, they must admit they are screw ups, losers, that they have been deceitful, abusive, stupid. But if they issued a blank apology admitting this with no real meaning behind it, if they were just uttering words and had no intention of changing their poor car performance that would only enrage me further.  They must be so committed to changing their ways that they not only say it, but do it.  And then I would accept them.

James 2:14, 17, 24, 26

No comments: