Saturday, July 14, 2012

Romans Book Was Set Back - Considerably

I was just finishing up the last few chapters of my book on the final edit cycle when I finally got word back from the ESV permission board: get lost kid.
Now I can understand that, I'm pretty disappointed, but I get it. I'm some nobody who won't be making any money, so they can't really ask a big fee from me, and I won't be trustworthy to handle the ESV text properly since I'm not some big name theologian, and the whole book format itself is a risky venture. So that's really three good reasons for saying no to allowing me to use their translation. On the other hand self publishing is going to be the wave of the future considering the big publishers are only interested in defending their paper business, have no value added into the market place, and are spending all their remaining resources crushing innovation. Further, everyone now famous was at one point new, and it required a risk, that's what business is about.
So I had to start over with a public domain translation of the Scriptures, which means KJV, or RSV, and frankly, I don't trust the liberal RSV scholars to get it right. That's not quite 3 years of work down the drain, because while the text segregation and the general arguments are still there, it's got to be re-tooled considerably.
Happily I found something called the UKJV, (the U stands for updated) where a guy took the KJV and had MS word auto replace the old English words (sayeth, ye, thou, etc) with the modern equivalent. It's really a nice translation.
Now some things still need to be updated, like in Romans 1 where those who reject God became futile in their imaginations which is not the modern meaning of that word, but on the whole it's a huge leg up for me.
I'm also loving the KJV the more I work with it- it's not just a delightful translation, it's an amazing one. I think that by the time the book is finished it's going to be about 50% better than before, partly because I'm forced to consider every word used, and partly because the KJV is just old enough that it's sentence construction is noticeable, it's form places emphasis differently than a modern translation does, and I really like that.
So here's to starting the Romans book over, and thank you, you nameless saint who made UKJV available for me to use to spread understanding of God's word. 

No comments: