Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mediate or Immediate sin?

When Adam sinned, he plunged all his posterity, all mankind into misery and ruin says the catechism. By that one act Adam condemned me to hell before I was even born, because by that one act I gained a propensity to sin, and a stain against my record. Therefore for the following reasons I do believe we are justly condemned from our very birth:

Eph 2:3 "We were by nature children of wrath" 
Obviously, if we are by nature under wrath, then we are headed for hell, and since God is just it is for a sin.

Ps 51:5 "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me."
Not that the act of sex is evil, but that when David was knit together still in his mothers womb he was a sinner. He didn't have the competencies to carry out sin, but he was nonetheless a sinner.

Romans 5:18-19- "for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law.Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come"
The second best passage on the matter. The argument I have treated already here.

Is 43:25-27- "I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins. Put me in remembrance; let us argue together; set forth your case, that you may be proved right. Your first father sinned, and your mediators transgressed against me."
Well it doesn't get any clearer than this. In this context Israel was bemoaning the fact that they were innocent of everything, and certainly did not deserve to have the Babylonians come cart them off. What is God's response? You are sinners in Adam. I appointed him as your spokesman, he stood before me and did what you wanted him to. He said what you wanted him to say.  He was our appointed mediator, and since God never makes a mistake Adam I had perfect representation in him. That's what I would have done exactly. His sin was my sin.

Does it therefore follow that since I am a guilty sinner by Adam that I am condemned to hell on the basis of Adams sin? No, and here is a very quick and by no means exhaustive set of why I don't think so:

Ecc 12:14- "For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil."
John 5:28-29 "Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment."

Rom 2:6- "He will render to each one according to his works:"
Rom 14:12- "So then each of us will give an account of himself to God."
Gal 6:7-8 "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption"
2 Cor 5:10 - "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil."
1 Peter 4:4-5 "but they will give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead."
Rev 20:12 "the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done."

The notable thing is that God never condemns us for Adams sin, but for the ones we committed on our own, because the simple truth here is that hell is so awful, so amazingly horribly wretchedly awful that God will not send you there unless you ask for it. A lot. You must ask not merely ask with your mouth a few times, but continually, pleading to be away from Him. He demands that you first demonstrate your desire to go there by your actions, and not just with some actions, but a continual habitual lifetime of hatred toward Him. Then, and only then, after you have accumulated a humongous record of hostilities to God does He condemn you to a terrible eternity.

So are we guilty from Adam? Yes. Should we be condemned in Adam? Yes. Does our sin in Adam constrain God such that He can no longer be gracious but must necessarily punish us immediately for all our sins? I don't think so. Christ is the savior of all men, (but particularly of those who believe) and so I hold to the notion that while I am guilty for what Adam did, I am judged and justly condemned for my own personal sins, and not merely by my spokesman's actions.

No comments: